Eyebrow Hair Loss Types Causes, Pictures, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is eyebrow hair fall or eyebrow thinning? Are you wondering what the root cause behind this is? Are you losing confidence as eyebrows are an essential facial feature which can highly affect your overall look? Here are the answers to your questions and some wonderful solutions to re-grow them back.
Losing eyebrow is quite normal as it is like hair on other body parts which have a natural cycle which ultimately sheds at last stage.
However losing eyebrow due to aging is a different scenario as it doesn’t leave bald patches or no eyebrows. It’s just thinning of eyebrows. However, if you notice a sudden loss of eyebrow hair then you may have to worry.
Preventing eyebrows from falling out is not just important because it is an essential beauty feature but also protects your eyes from particles and liquid.
There can be a number of reasons behind eyebrow fallouts such as over plucking, aging, excessive makeup or stress.
There is a temporary condition called TE (telogen effluvium) which is an abnormal state of loss of hair due to changes in the normal hair growth cycle. In chronic conditions, this can affect eyebrows as well.
There may be many causes behind this sudden eyebrow hair fall.
Listed below are the causes for Eyebrow Hair fall:
Doing your eyebrows mechanically is a safe method to groom your eyebrows as the results last longer than shaving but don’t overdo it. Doing it in every 5-10 days is not at all recommended. This may become the major cause of eyebrow hair fall.
There are possible dangers associated with tweezing at home like the ingrown hair can lead to a red bump, bacterial infections as it leaves pores open and follicle damage which is mainly responsible for hair growth as it is underneath the hair. Damaging the follicles can lead to permanent eyebrow hair loss.
In a case of Alopecia, your body tends to attack the hair follicle and cause hair loss on various parts of a body. If you have alopecia on your eyebrows you may lose sections of hair and have bald patches. The hair loss is permanent however in most people is temporary.
Aging is the major reason behind thinning of eyebrows and eyebrow hair fall. You can follow these tips to avoid signs of aging on your eyebrows:
- Don’t apply heat on eyebrows
- Useless eyebrow makeup as it may have side effects
- Prevent stress
- Make sure you drink a lot of water and keep your body hydrated.
This is a condition in which thyroid gland is under performing and hair loss due to hypothyroidism is common. At later stages of hypothyroidism, you may face the issue of thinning of eyebrows and hair loss as well. The thyroid gland is responsible for controlling rate of use of energy sources, protein synthesis and this might become one of the causes of your eyebrow loss.
The thyroid gland is responsible for controlling rate of use of energy sources, protein synthesis and this might become one of the causes of your eyebrow loss.
As we know diet plays a vital role in hair growth. Lack of protein can lead to eyebrow fallouts. Deficiencies in nutrients can affect the eyebrows. All you need to do is take balanced diet and include components like iron, zinc, vitamin D, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, biotin and vitamin B12 in your daily diet.
All you need to do is take balanced diet and include components like iron, zinc, vitamin D, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, biotin and vitamin B12 in your daily diet.
High stress levels are associated with hormonal changes and stress for long times can trigger hair loss including eyebrows. Psychological stress leads to such changes however these are temporary.
Hansen’s disease also known as leprosy if affects the face eyebrow area then it may also lead to loss of eyebrows. It affects the skin of brow area leading to loss of sensation and permanent loss of eyebrow hair.
Since the fallouts are caused due to bacterial attack doctors recommend antibiotics for the treatment for 6months to two years.
Atopic dermatitis is also known as atopic eczema is a skin condition which can lead to thin eyebrows. It is an inflammation of the skin that leads to the itchy red swollen skin. It is more common in younger children. If you have an itchy red skin around your browser please consult your dermatologist.
Over the time eczema in eyebrows can make your skin bumpy and hampers the normal growth of eyebrows. As the area around eyebrows is itchy and red, people tend to scratch or rub that area which may lead to loss of patches of eyebrow hair. Use steroids to reduce itchiness, moisturize your skin well so that you avoid scratching the area.
Skin growths like moles, warts, hemangiomas, sebaceous hyperplasia on our eyebrows make the growth of hair unable penetrate through them. If these skin growths are removed carefully then eyebrow re-growth is possible. Moles and skin tags also lead to loss of patches of eyebrow hair. Scarring on the eyebrow area can also lead to bald patches in the eyebrow.
Eyebrow fallouts may arise if you are on medication that causes hair loss as a side effect. For example, drugs used in chemotherapy leads to hair loss in cancer patients.Any contraception related to hormonal changes can also lead to thinning of eyebrows in women.
Medications like blood thinners, supplements, some arthritis medications, birth control pills and medications causing hormonal changes can lead to hair loss. Consult your doctor and take alternative medications which do not have side effects like hair loss.
Any contraception related to hormonal changes can also lead to thinning of eyebrows in women. Medications like blood thinners, supplements, some arthritis medications, birth control pills and medications causing hormonal changes can lead to hair loss. Consult your doctor and take alternative medications which do not have side effects like hair loss.
Other causes may be:
- Chemotherapy or surgeries
- Fungal infections
Possible treatments for Eyebrow Hair fall:
The best way to treat eyebrow hair fall is to find out the root cause and then go for the treatments which best suits the condition.
There are not too many options for the ones with permanent eyebrow loss. The treatments available may vary from medication to homemade remedies to surgeries. If you notice early symptoms of eyebrow fallouts like eyebrow thinning or small patches of hair fallouts, in such cases treatments focus on re-growth like lotions or serums.
People use medications like Latisse which is known for eyelash growth. This medication not just re-grows the eyebrows but also darkens the skin under eyebrows giving it a thick and darker appearance.
If you figure out that the hair losses of the eyebrow are temporary then try out some home remedies to encourage growth. In a case of situations like alopecia where the loss is permanent home remedies won’t help. In such cases, one should go for eyebrow restoration surgery or transplant surgeries.
If the eyebrow hair loss is permanent due to alopecia, genetics or any other cause then one should go for the restoration surgery for the eyebrow. This is once for all treatment as eyebrow makeup or tattoos can sometimes turn out to be scary and gives you an artificial look.
This is basically hair transplant surgery. In this procedure, the hair from some other body part like a back of your head with active follicle is taken and installed in the brow area. This can give you satisfying results if you take the help of an expert. It takes a couple of days for the hair restoration. If you are investing so much in a surgery for the eyebrows make sure the design and shape of the eyebrow.
This can give you satisfying results if you take the help of an expert. It takes a couple of days for the hair restoration. If you are investing so much in a surgery for the eyebrows make sure the design and shape of the eyebrow are flattering. The brow shape should be distinguishable and the eyebrow implants should look as natural as possible to give you the perfect look.
Eyebrow regrowth products and serums
Eyebrow Thinning and eyebrow loss due to over plucking, trauma, thyroid levels or medications can be re-grown. For such cases, you can try out a good eyebrow hair re-growth serum or a lotion. There are a lot of eyebrow growth enhancers and serums available in the market which make your eyebrow look thick, strong and healthier. They encourage the growth back. The best-known serums are Rogaine and Latisse. Few other serums you can give a try are listed below:
There are a lot of eyebrow growth enhancers and serums available in the market which make your eyebrow look thick, strong and healthier. They encourage the growth back. The best-known serums are Rogaine and Latisse. Few other serums you can give a try are listed below:
They encourage the growth back. The best-known serums are Rogaine and Latisse. Few other serums you can give a try are listed below:
- Anastasia Brow Enhancing Serum
- BBROWBAR Nourishing Brow Oil
- RapidLash Eyelash and Eyebrow Renewal Serum
- Joey Healy – Brow Renovation Serum
- Professional Brow & Lash Growth Accelerator Treatment Gel by Ardell
- RapidBrow Enhancing Serum
- TALIKA Lipocils Conditioning Gel
- RevitaBrow Eyebrow Conditioner
- Revitalash Revitabrow Conditioner
- Ardell Brow & Lash Growth Accelerator Treatment Gel
- LashFood Nano-Peptide Natural Eyebrow Conditioner
- Brows To Die For(TM) Conditioning Treatment
- LiBrow Eyebrow Growth Serum
Fill in your thin eyebrows- use eyebrow makeup
Till the time you are waiting for your eyebrows to regrow, you can use makeup to hide the thin brows. Use good products like eyebrow pencil, filler, mascara and other makeup that helps in filling the missing eyebrow strands. Use matte shades to give you a perfect look. You can take tutorials for the same online so that you can get the perfect shape and thickness.
Natural remedies for eyebrow re-growth
Castor oil is known for its quality of boosting the growth of eyebrows. It contains essential proteins, vitamins, and antioxidants that nourish the hair follicles in eyebrow area and promotes the hair growth. It resists the growth of microorganism that can hamper the eyebrow hair growth.
The sulphur contents in onion juice help in faster and denser re- of eyebrow hair. Sulphur improves the production of collagen tissues required for proper growth of hair. It also strengthens the hair follicles in the eyebrow area.
- Grind one small onion and extract the juice
- Rub the juice below the eyebrow skin with cotton balls or fingertips for about 5-10 minutes.
- Don’t wash the brows so that you can get the best benefits.
- Leave it overnight or wash your face with lukewarm water after 30 minutes.
- Follow it on daily basis for at least two weeks.
We all are aware of the amazing benefits of olive oil. It is a rich source of vitamin E, it helps the eyebrow grow faster and thicker. Olive oil has a thick consistency and deeply nourishes your brows to give them a dark-hued look.
- Take few drops of olive oil and warm it.
- Massage your brows with warm oil for 5-10 minutes before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off in morning.
- You can also mix it with few drops of honey. But leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off as honey is sticky and can’t be left overnight.
Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of nicotinic acid, lecithin, and protein which helps in growth of thick eyebrows. A paste of fenugreek seeds helps in rebuilding of hair follicles.
- Soak about one to two teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the seeds into a thick paste and add few drops of coconut oil or almond oil. The property of oil moisturizes the brows.
- Apply the paste on brows overnight or before going for a shower in morning.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- For this for 2-3 months and so this at least twice a day.
Aloe Vera has moisturizing properties which nourish hair follicles and makes the skin near eyebrows soft which ultimately leads to faster growth of eyebrows. People who have thin eyebrows due to over plucking you surely need to use aloe Vera extract.
- Crush aloe Vera gel and gently massage the juice over your eyebrows.
- Allow it to sap in for 30 minutes and rinse off.
- You can also use aloe gel with honey and coconut oil. Apply it on brows and leave it overnight.
- The modulation effect of aloe gel heals the scratched skin due to over plucking and increasing growth of eyebrows.
Coco lemon is a great combination for healthy eyebrows. Coconut oil has proteins, nutrients, and vitamin E which promote healthy thick dense eyebrows. On the other hand, lemon also enhances your eyebrows look as it is a rich source of vitamin C and B, folic acid and other nutrients. Both can be combined together and can be used separately to get miraculous results.
- You can massage warm coconut oil and leave it overnight.
- Or simply rub a slice of lemon on eyebrows for 15-20 minutes.
- Or take ¼ the cup of coconut oil and blend it with lemon juice and keep the mixture overnight in a dark place. Take the mixture and dab it over your eyebrows before going to bed.
- You can use this mixture as long as you want or there is no irritation on the skin.
- As the mixture has lemon in it avoid sunlight for 2 hours after you apply this as you may face the problem of irritation caused due to citrus nature of lemon.
- Massage the hair follicles on the eyebrow area using circular movements regularly.
- Exfoliate and moisturize the skin around eyebrows to remove dead cells and thus increasing the blood circulation. You can use petroleum jelly to promote thick eyebrows.
- Avoid plucking, tweezing of browse frequently.
- Avoid scratching and rubbing of eyebrows.
- Avoid applying too much makeup on eyebrows.
- Reduce stress and sleep properly to help the growth of eyebrows.
- Use vitamin E capsules and massage the oil on the brows.
- Once you get the brows thickened reshape them by a professional rather than doing it on your own.